[rodgersorganusers] Introduction

  • From: L.SSCHILLING@xxxxxxx
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 14:53:24 +0000

Hello to all!

I happend across this opportunity to become part of a RODGERS user's group
yesterday afternoon.

My name is Lee Schilling, 2 Crane Circle, New Providence, NJ 07974 (908)790-
0868, L.SSCHILLING@xxxxxxxx  My coming to own my RODGERS "GLOBAL SERIES 535"
is rather interesting. I studied Theatre Organ as a Child (I am 49). In High
Schol and College I studied Classic and Church organ.  I had an old CONN
instrument to work with but it did not have a complete AGO pedalboard and was
more of a "toy" than an instrument.

My wife sang opera professionally in Europe for many years prior to our
marriage.  Three years ago we purchased this house, larger than the last,
which afforded the space for a REAL GRAND PIANO for her to play, study and
teach voice.  On our visit to Altenburg (at that time a RODGERS dealer) we
purchased a very nice Altenburg Grand Piano.  If you live anywhere near the
Newark Airport area in New Jersey, and are into pianos, you should visit them
in Elizabeth. While speaking with the owner, they asked questions about who
plays piano, etc. I explained that I had studied organ, had played in a
church for 3 years, I had this OLD organ and would be interested in something
to practice with BUT I had just spent considerable money on the Piano and
with a kid in College, bigger house, well you get the picture.  I was then
shown this 535, one year old, traded for a larger organ at the store and they
would try to get me a good geal.  Of course, I spent more money than my
budget allowed that day (larger piano and an organ to boot!).

Now, story over...on to technical. I am "anal retentive" or, a mechanical
engineer by trade.  This of course plays havic with left side/right side
brain issues.  Probably why you got the story above.  The PEDALBOARD of my 1
year young organ was barely used.  I found the pedals getting loose.  OK, I
can fix nearly anything.  I removed the wiring, turned the pedalboard over
and found wood screws holding the pedals to the leaf-type-springs.  I
tightened those and added spring washers, much better!  I also had some
annoying "sticking" which I found was glue from plastic pads placed between
the pedal and stop board which runs across the front (organ side) of the
pedalboard.  I removed the pedals from the case,and replaced these plastic
pads with FELTS after cleaning the glue mess.  Much better.  BUT over time,
those wood screws are coming loose again (as I knew they would).  Next
weekend project is to again disassemble the pedalboard (mark pedal order on
pedals so they go back in proper order) and line drill through where the
screws were i the pedals.  Then to the hardware store for bolts, washers and
spring washers in order to bolt these pedals in once and for all!

IMPORTANT: Rodgers has offered to fix the pedalboard under warranty. I have
been in contact with RODGERS regarding my "fix" and they are interested in
photos and even visiting here to see first hand the results. Now, there is a
known fact that engineers are "babies" when it comes to their ideas and
designs. Rodgers interest in my "ideas" is a very rare corporate position
today and MOST CREDABLE! RODGERS is truly a fine and responsive company and I
am happy with this instrument and RODGERS.

My other "project" is to add a light in the music rack that will light both
keyboard and music (as traditional).  For this, I need the machine shop in
order that I don't wreck the project.

I am beginning piano lessons and will also study organ with hopes of once
again becomming proficent in church work.  Now that the kids are older and my
formal career is doing fine, I again have time for myself.

Best to all in "RODGERS LAND"! I will keep anyone interested in the
pedalboard project informed.
Lee

If you have any difficulty with this or PayPal,
please contact noeljones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx for help!

Shop for Playing Guides to your Rodgers Organ at Frog Music Press