[rodgersorgan] Interesting Research Results on Church Music

  • From: "John Jarvis" <jjarvis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 06:34:32 -0800

First let me state that I do not want to restart the "Worship War" that
occupied these pages during the past few weeks.  However, I wanted to
bring to your attention an interesting article mentioned in the "AGO
Leadership Bulletin" (Pg. 4, The American Organist, Dec. 2002).  The
article mentions the results of research completed by the Barna Group (a
widely respected Christian Research organization).  The TAO article
points to the following website
http://www.churchmusicnow.com/Nuggets/10-1-2002v3.htm for a synopsis of
the results.

The TAO article further pointed out that the results indicated organs
are used in 2/3 of worship services in the U.S.   Here is a sample of
the contents of this report:

XI. What types of Instruments are churches using?
  Acoustic instruments 4 out of 5 churches
  Choirs 2/3
  Organ 2/3
  Praise Team 3/5
  Accompaniment trax 3/5
  Electric band 1/2
  Orchestra 1/12

Observations: The types of churches that use the above:
Electric Bands: Charismatic, African-American, Sr. Pastor 55+, where
there are multiple services
Choirs: Mainline denom., African American, Baptist, churches w/ multiple
services
Organs: Mainline, Senior Pastor 55+
Accompaniment Trax: Senior Pastor 55+, Blended styles, White,
Southern Baptist Churches (double any other denomination)

-

May all your bloopers be grace notes this hoiliday season! From the Staff at FMP

To unsubscribe or change mail delivery (digest, vacation) go to our website at
www.frogmusic.com/rodgers.html