[rodgersorgan] Hello, 750, MIDI stops

  • From: Steve Mitchell <stevemitchell@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 01:16:29 -0700

Hello,

I'm a new list member from the SF Bay area, an EE, and
the owner of a Rodgers 750 analog.  I got the instrument about
a year ago when I visited a local pipe builder's shop.  I got the
instrument for a real bargain price when the builder was surprised
to find that every note and stop on the instrument was somehow
stuck in the "on" position.  It made quite a racket, but at least I
was assured that the instrument could produce sounds.  Three
weekends with an oscilloscope and the supplied schematics
resolved the problem.  It was because of the age of the instrument
that I was able to repair it with off-the-shelf components and a little
probing around.

I'm still just learning how to play the thing, basic pedal technique.
I can play one of the Orgelbuchlein pieces recognizably.  Playing
on two manuals is surprisingly difficult.  I try reading harmonized
four-part chorales, with the treble voices on the swell, tenor on the
great, and bass in the pedals.  The voice leading tells me that the
"G" needs to move to "F".  I can hear it, but I sit there dumbly staring
at the page, hopelessly trying to figure out which of my limbs is
tenaciously holding that "G".

Since I am now familiar with the 750's keying system, I am thinking of
building my own MIDI controller for it.  However, there seems to be no
obviously right way to handle stops.  I gather that Allen, Rodgers,
Peterson, and Ahlborn all have their own methods.  "Patch change"
messages seem an obvious way to switch up to seven stops per division
(channel).  Is this documented somewhere?

   --Steve

Learn how to play Fanfares and Trumpet Tunes with Trumpet, Harpsichord and
Timpani: Go to www.frogmusic.com/SPML.html

To unsubscribe or change mail delivery (digest, vacation) go to our website at
www.frogmusic.com