[rodgersorgan] Re: Fro, another list...

  • From: "Noel Heinze" <noel.heinze@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 08:31:28 -0400

Re electronic substitutes, simulators, fakes, etc...my friends, we will
never win this war, the industry will never achieve its goals, the cause of
music will not be served, our status as musicians will never be accorded
much respect, the AGO will always be "them,"  people who make buying
decisions will always etc, as long as we continue to use such terms, as long
as we agree that pipes are ipso facto better, as long as we tolerate/foster
attitudes of second class, as long as we are followers instead of leaders,
as long as we admit to having an electronic and thus confess some sort of
crime, etc...do you catch my drift?  We will always be seen as pretenders,
wannabees, naked emperors trying to get the customers/public to applaud our
questionable clothes, etc.  Are you listening, Roland/Rodgers?  Mr. Hammond
may have been off his rocker to assert that his instruments sounded just
like a pipe organ, and his company/industry eventually failed, but not
because he lied about its accuracy in imitation skills...it failed because
he never once presented his instrument for what it was, an instrument in its
own right, a whole 'nother world of musical possibilities.  Clarinets do not
go around trying to sound like trumpets and using such terms as surrogate,
and we'd certainly raise an eyebrow if they did.

Now, do you want to talk about praise music, praise instruments,
contemporary whatever?  We don't call that substitute...it is an option, but
determined by who?  Some of it's good, but says who?  Noel Jones asked about
Paul Winter...I think he's wonderful, ditto his music, and it isn't just an
alternative...it has to stand on its own merits, but determined by who?

Let us stop walking around with big red A's carved on our chests and
foreheads, hmm?
Put there by who?

Noel Heinze, Asheville, NC
St. Giles Chapel, Deerfield Episcopal Retirement Community
Rodgers 835B and PR300S

New low pricing on books and music for the Rodgers Organ at www.frogmusic.com