[rodgersorgan] Electronic substitutes

  • From: "Noel Heinze" <noel.heinze@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "RodgersUsers" <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 07:52:51 -0400

Just because an electronic has stops, keys, etc., does not mean it's merely
pretending to be a pipe organ, nor should we look down on it for not having
pipes.  A convertible and a pickup truck both have engines, wheels, doors,
etc., but we do not scorn the truck because its top doesn't go up and down, nor
do we mock the convertible because it won't carry pigs to market...yet we do
regard electronics as somehow inferior to "the real thing" because_______(fill
in the blank).  I think the PR300S and other synthesizers/sequencers (Will
someone explain to me why it's called a sequencer?  What does it sequence?)
escape the substitute label, and all its accompanying baggage of ridicule,
because it looks different, works differently, doesn't compete much, isn't a
threat, can't be "played," etc., so it's OK that it's not the real
performer/instrument.  What say you?

Incidentally, if you want to strike fear in the hearts of the "purists" and see
the most amazing facial expressions, ask them why pipe organ builders
increasingly use electronic stops, why electronic builders frequently employ
pipes, and what they would call an instrument that is roughly 50/50 pipe and/or
electronic...try not to smirk.

Noel Heinze, Asheville, NC
St. Giles Chapel, Deerfield Episcopal Retirement Community
Rodgers 835B and PR300S

New low pricing on books and music for the Rodgers Organ at www.frogmusic.com