[rodgersorgan] Contemporary vs Traditional Worship Music

  • From: Kirk Wheeler <whee8851@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rodgers Organs <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 22:51:14 -0400

As the organist in an African American congregation the issue of "contemporary"
vs "traditional" worship music is a moot point.  Black churches have always had
a "blended" service with gospels, spirituals, hymns and anthems.  We have a
Rodgers 945 with a PR 300  that replaced an aging Moeller about 12 years ago.
I find that with the PR300 and the 945 I'm able to play all types of music both
traditional and contemporary.  I try to pick music that is first glorifying to
God, theologically sound and that will edify the congregation; be it
traditional or contemporary.

Kirk Wheeler
AME Union Church
Philadelphia, Pa