[rodgersorgan] Re: Consoles

  • From: "Charlie Strack" <charlie_strack@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 17:32:49 -0700

Richard wrote:

Consoles.  Hmm.  Here's something interesting.

For five years, I played at a church that has a old two-manual Rodgers=20
Cambridge 220.  Nice instrument for being analog, with a large drawknob=20
console.  Now, the 940 I play, which is three manuals, has actually a =
smaller=20
console that the 220.  I'm assuming that digital technology allows one to =
get=20
more into a smaller box.  Good things come in small packages.

However, there is one drawback to the 940's smaller console.  I'm 6'3", =
and I=20
sit up straight on the bench.  The music rack on the 940 has been placed =
low=20
enough to allow the roll top to close.  Unfortunately, the music rack=20
completely blocks my view of the row of couplers.  I have to slouch to =
see=20
them.  That's a hassle.  Must've been a cost-cutting measure by Rodgers, =
but=20
the might not have taken into account the sight line of a tall organist.

Any of you taller organists run into this problem?

--

Richard--one of my organs is a Cambridge 220 with stoptabs. I really like =
this console--very comfortable--everything is exactly where my fingers =

And the digital circuits take up much less space and weight. Though I =
don't why they would hide the couplers behind the music rack. A picture I =
have of the latest Notre Dame console shows 2 rows of couplers, and the =
music rack is directly in front of the uppper row--I guess there isn't =
much call for those couplers?

I'm 6'2" and don't want a music rack that's too low. And much prefer =
pedals deeper into the console and a higher bench to allow for my legs & =
knees.

And if the organist wears bifocals but forgets their medium range glasses, =
tell them to slide their glasses out their noses a bit--it helps, if their =
noses are long enough!

Charlie

!
Find new MIDI music and Guides to Rodgers Organs at www.frogmusic.com