[rodgersorgan] Christmas Eve 2002

  • From: "Carlo Pietroniro" <organist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Carlo Pietroniro" <organist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 03:52:53 -0500

It went off quite well.

With 2 violins, a cello, and 2 trumpets, I had very little to do on the organ
for such things as Mozart's Coronation Mass, as well as the pieces from
Handel's Messiah. For some reasons, the basses were having trouble with the
sixteenth note runs in "For Unto Us", but they got through it okay.

For the organ postlude, I decided to play the last variation of "Christmas",
leading into the finale, and now since most of you have the music, you know
what I'm talking about! I was originally going to start on page 15, but at the
last minute, I decided to start on page 13. I used full organ no reeds, playing
the left hand on the CHOIR, and the right hand on the GREAT. Then of course,
that amazing finale on full organ! Thank God for the SUB couplers, especially
when both hands are high on the keyboard! I've played some organs where there
was very little depth on full, and with the 16-foot pitches, when both hands
are above middle C, it sounds too shrill.

There were seats for 2200, but we had more than that, if you can imagine. There
were 2500 programs printed, and the doormen had a little over 100 left when it
was all over. We even had several people in wheelchairs. They get the best
seats in the house......right across the front row of pews.

Oddly enough, even though the organ sounded okay yesterday, there were a few
klinkers in the "Clarinet 8" and "Vox Humana 8". I guess the heat and humidity
caused them to go a little sour. I wish there was a way to keep them in tune
longer.

Carlo Pietroniro