[rodgersorgan] Carols and PR 300

  • From: Cbtsubdallas@xxxxxxx
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 14:36:07 EST

Happy New Year to all!

Today we celebrated Epiphany, I know we rushed it by a day...  However, being
one who is rather sparing with the PR 300 I got wild today.  When registering
the carol "We Three Kings" I selected a soft flute registration on Great,
Swell, and Pedal with couplers in full use.  Then I used the bagpipe on the
Great midi piston, the timpani on the Pedal midi piston, and the triangle on
the Swell midi piston.  I played the hymn, for the most part on the Great and
Pedal, but at the beginning of each phrase I jumped up to the Swell with the
melody, on the first beat of each new phrase only, to get the triangle and
then played the entire refrain melody on the Swell.

I know it sounds a bit weird to explain, but it was beautiful and I received
numerous compliments following the service for my unorthodox registration of
an otherwise predictable carol.  As a matter of fact, the priest said that my
registration sounded middle eastern and the triangle was the icing on the
cake (he was being nice).  For one who is steeped in traditional organ
registration/hymn playing I'm finding that judicious use of the PR 300 can
really perk up a hymn without becoming too showy.

Allen Johns
Dallas