[rodgersorganusers] Re: Analog

  • From: noel jones <gedeckt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 22:15:26 -0500

I have to agree with Ralph.  It is amazing how many times I hear pipe
organs and think they are digital...we are so used to differing pipe
from digital by listening to certain inherent 'flaws' in pipe tonal
production that digital organ now carry as well, that pipe organs tha
have these 'flaws' eliminated by design or engineering begin to sound
too precise and 'good'...

WHy are there those taht prefer analog sound?  The first organs to use
sampled chimes were often criticized..and stil are.  for the chimes
sounding too much like someone actually striking a chime rod...whcih of
course is what chimes are.

Analog intrumetns had a very difficult time generating the hum note of
the chime, that is, the note that soudsn almost an octave lower that the
struck pitch. Creating chimes out of equally tempered oscillators will
not permit quarter tones, for example.

noel jones

If you have any difficulty with this or PayPal,
please contact noeljones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx for help!

Shop for Playing Guides to your Rodgers Organ at Frog Music Press