[rodgersorganusers] Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: MX-200

  • From: "Simmons, Erik" <erik.simmons@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 15:15:41 -0800

There may be an even better solution. Although the documentation says =
the USB port is only for "maintenance", its function on the XV-2020 =
includes interface to an OUTSTANDING implementation of sampling and =
synthesis (S&S) software. I have used this software to make some very =
nice organ patches from the existing XV-2020 wave forms (akin to what =
Hector did to create the SOL voices).

There are two modes to the XV-2020: Patch and performance. In patch =
mode, one can only select a single voice from the face controls and map =
this voice to a MIDI channel (see the picture of the MX - channel dial =
on the left, voice selection on the right). Of course, as mentioned =
below, Rodgers owners have the most flexible MIDI controller available =
at their disposal, so you can do a bit more with several MIDI pistons.

However, using Performance mode (don't confuse the XV performance with =
playing a piece using a sequencer), it is entirely possible to layer =
many voices on a single MIDI channel. I've made celestes, a 16' flue and =
quint to fill out my chorus, and a Cornet IV (almost 60 organ patches so =
far, and dozens of performances using them). It's possible to assign up =
to 16 patches per performance, to any of the 16 channels (subject to the =
64-voice limit, of course).

Soooo, IF the MX allows one that owns the XV software to create user =
performances then we can create combinations of the existing sounds on =
MIDI channels 1-8, mapping whatever we want to swell, great, choir, and =
pedal MIDI A and B.

Better yet, we will be able to use the source patches to create other =
sounds via the rich functionality of the synthesis software, changing =
resonance, filter settings, low-frequency oscillators (two per wave), =
VCF, VCA, and much more. The Rodgers couplers allow great stuff like =
octave shift, but there's much more in the XV capabilities.

Of course, I don't know this will be possible yet, and it clearly is not =
supported (based on the "Maintenance only" label in the brochure). =
However, it would probably be more work to take that functionality out =
than leave it there for more "advanced" users.

The sky would truly be the limit. If it works, I want TWO.=20

Cheers.