[rodgersorgan] Re: AGO pedalboards

  • From: "Charlie Strack" <charlie_strack@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 10:34:25 -0700

Noel wrote about variations in AGO pedalboards.

It's also been a while since I studied the spec, but in adition to =
variations, there are discrepancies. Both of these, I suspect, account for =
the differences we see.

The radius of concavity and radiation allow for a range of 8 to 8-1/2 =
feet.=20

For an 8 ft radiation versus 8-1/2 ft, there will be equal spacing between =
adjacent pedals, but at no where else along the pedal playing surface. =
Speaking point is supposed to be at the halfway depresssed point of the =
pedal, but AGO only allowed a total travel of 1/2 inch--far too shallow in =
my opinion. The playing surface of the sharps is supposed to be 6-1/2 =
inches as measured but 6 inches if you calculate from other supplied =
information.=20

In any case, I feel very sorry for any engineer who has to design a =
pedalboard for manufacture based on these so-called "specifications". AGO =
should really revisit these, and have an engineer or builder lead the team =
that does it. It's really very shameful what they have.

I learned to play on an electronic with a 25 note flat pedalboard, and had =
trouble when I went to an AGO board--the pedals are just too close to my =
feet. I find theatre organ pedals are often a bit lower and much more =
comfortable for me to play--I'm also tall, but mostly tall in the legs.

Best regards,
Charlie

!
Find new MIDI music and Guides to Rodgers Organs at www.frogmusic.com