[rodgersorganusers] Re: A Thought About 'Pleasing Folks'

  • From: "K Stiles" <jkstiles@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 09:02:03 -0500

I would like to say to all that responded to my query how
much I appreciate the support I felt welling up.  I needed
it and it reminded me of the important point that it is
music meant for worship.  My pastor told me the same thing
so I intend to play with gusto for my real audience and
enjoy it!  Since God is really who I'm aiming for, that's
who I need to focus on.  Thanks again to all!

Keith Stiles
Waynesville, NC

P.S.  Not only do I live in North Carolina but I was born
and grew up where I am now playing the organ.  So I guess
that means some of us do grow and change as people.  Might
I also add that many in the congregation understand and
are being supportive as well.

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 20:12:48 EST
  ProOrgo53@xxxxxxx wrote:

>Please do not consider what I wish to share as being
>spoken from a pulpit,
>high and lifted up, or in any pompous fashion (not that
>pulpits -- placed low or
>high merit a negative metaphor).
>
>We often hear or see a phrase similiar to, if not this
>one indeed: "you
>cannot please everyone all the time." This causes me to
>pause and remember words of
>wisdom spoken by many more than one of my teachers,
>instructors and
>professors over many years of study, practice, and
>presentation (notice, please, I did
>NOT say "performance"). They go something like this:
>
>     "In church music, it is not 'the people' whom we are
>to please, for they
>are not an audience waiting eagerly for our productions.
> In church music, it
>is our Maker whom we are to laud, magnify, lift up,
>assist others (and
>ourselves) in bringing lives worthy of worship and praise
>to the Altar and place them
>at the feet of our ever-present, always-loving Creator."
>
>Brothers and Sisters:  let us NOT please one another. Let
>us worship the very
>GOD who sustains us with life and breath - and assist
>(not make) others
>toward that duty and delight.
>
>Dale G. Rider, M. Sacred Mus., CAGO*
>Organist (appointed October, 2003)
>Northern Boulevard United Methodist Church
>Independence, Missouri 64050
>Sanctuary Organ - Rodgers 805C Digital Organ
>& Roland PR-300S Sound Module
>Member --Volunteer Organ Staff
>Community of Christ (ReorganizedLDS) World Headquarters
>Independence, Missouri 64051
>    Auditorium Organ - AEolian-Skinner (1959) 4m/113 rks
>    Temple Organ - Casavant Freres, Ltd. (1993) 4m/102
>rks (tracker)
>Life Member
>Hymn Society in the United States and Canada
>*Colleague Certificate; Service Playing Certificate
>Greater Kansas City Chapter (Dean, 1982-'83)
>American Guild of Organists
>
>GOD bless you today and everyday!
>

>-- No attachments (even text) are allowed --
>-- Type: image/jpeg
>-- File: cofchrist%20lion%20&amp

>If you have any difficulty with this or PayPal,
>please contact noeljones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx for help!

<TEXTAREA NAME="Signature" ROWS="4" COLS="60">