[rocketlaws-ca] Tuesday Update

  • From: "mjerauld @dslextreme.com" <mjerauld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rocketlaws-ca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 13:57:31 -0700

Hi Team!

Great fun at the TARC finals in Virginia with the best weather ever!

I talked with Trip and Mark B, changing the code to redefine the
current model rocket parameters is the likely best course of action.
Using TARC and the limits that California places on STEM students
is the angle we should use.

I also spoke with Marion Blakely and she fully supports this effort
and has offered the support of the AIA membership.

I've had a good response from my assemblywoman Toni Atkins'
office and will meet her chief of staff in San Diego this week.

DART member Mike Fuller is a patent attorney here in San Diego.
His initial input was that the code was enacted in the 70s as a
response to some need.  He will research the historical aspect
of why and who got the code revised to define model rockets
then.  Getting it changed will need to take those parties into
account.

A quick look at the 1970-1974 Estes & Centuri catalogs
(THANK YOU ESTES & SVEN!!) Shows that the heaviest
rocket kits were the Saturn V's at about 280 grams. 3 Cs
would bring it to around 355 grams flight weight.  The
Omega with the Cineroc might have been more.

I am making this my summer project.  I will post news
as get it.  We'll get this done.

Ad Astra my friends,

Mike Jerauld