[roc-chat] Re: Separate LPR area at ROCtober

  • From: ENHolmberg@xxxxxxx
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 01:38:43 -0400 (EDT)

I have experienced long waits with only one rocket in the roll.  My  roll
was by-passed repeatedly because I was the only one or could not be  seen.
In the past, their have been recommendations to go through every  roll every
time.  I would like to see follow through on this.

Thanks, Eric

In a message dated 6/26/2012 4:31:26 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
derbas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

On  6/26/2012 2:58 PM, Mike Riss wrote:
> I'm not sure that waiting for 30  minutes is necessarily bad.  It's
surely not optimum, but if
>  there are 45+ pads, and if almost every pad is occupied, that's
something less  than 1 minute
> processing time per pad.

Please note that  I never said that every pad was occupied, simply that
it is very common to  wait 30 minutes (or more!) for a launch. At
ROCStock last November, I had  one rocket sitting on the pad for an hour
and fifteen minutes -- so I was  being 'conservative' with the 30 minute
comment.  I also tried to  point out that if the banks of pads were
actually CYCLED in order, that  much (if not all) of the problem would be
alleviated - the point being  that a bank of pads is often overlooked for
extended periods of  time.  It's along the lines of (for example) all
banks being launched  multiple times EXCEPT the rack that I'm on.

I do my best to NOT comment  to the LCO or PM about overlooking banks of
pads, because I don't want to  discourage folks from doing those jobs,
and those few times I have made  comments it's generally not even been my
rocket on the pad (something  along the lines of, "Hey, that purple
rocket on pad 24 has been sitting  there for a while, hasn't it?").

I'll point out that sometimes a rocket  is ignored when you have one or
two small, unpainted, almost invisible  rockets on the middle pads -- and
the LCO isn't even aware that there are  rockets sitting there waiting
for launch.  In this situation, it's  extremely important for the PM to
ensure that those cards are given to the  LCO so they don't sit there
forever.

I'm personally convinced that  whatever system is implemented simply
needs to be one that 'reminds' the  LCO/PM about cycling the pads in
order -- that's what Rick's comment was  about, what the 'Starbucks
timer' method was about, and my suggestion of a  'gizmo' that gets reset
by the arming signal.  Bottom line is that  (and I KNOW I'm guilty of
this myself) the LCO will tend to launch the  rack that looks to be the
fullest -- even if another rack with fewer  rockets has been waiting longer.

Just sitting here writing this I  thought of another Rube Goldberg method
-- a flashing light at each  bank.  This light will be initiated by a
timer that is triggered by  the first press of a continuity button on the
given bank, and will be  reset by arming a row.  Here's how it works --
assume an empty bank,  no rockets.  So, no flashing (ever).  Someone
comes out, puts a  rocket on a pad. They check continuity by pushing the
button.  This  starts a (for example) 10-minute timer.  Second guy comes
up five  minutes later, puts a rocket, presses the continuity button.
This  DOES NOT reset the timer.  Ten minutes after the first guy has put
his rocket on the pad, the flashing light out at the pads starts
blinking (could be duplicated at the control panel, as well).  This
tells one and all (LCO/PM and rocketeers) that this bank is 'due for
launch', and no more rockets should be placed.  The LCO arms the pad,
which shuts off/resets the light, he launches the bank, and the light
remains off until the next rocket is placed on the bank.  If there  are
five banks with flashing lights, well, then there are at least five
banks that have had a rocket sitting for at least ten minutes -- and the
LCO should be launching those banks and ignoring any non-flashing  banks.

Over to you... <G>

David  Erbas-White

--
ROC-Chat mailing  list