[roc-chat] Re: ROCStocks and ROCtober...the Core Issue

  • From: Kenneth Brown <ken@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 03:52:55 -0700

On Jun 24, 2012, at 11:06 PM, Allen Farrington wrote:

> There have been some good ideas and comments flowing on this topic, but I
> want to provide one bit of clarifying information regarding what prompted the
> board to consider these changes.
>
> The core issue is the fact that staffing three large launches per year is
> getting more and more difficult. We have a just a few folks that are
> consistently helping at these launches and the board is beginning to believe
> that the overload is in danger of compromising safety. For example, a
> ROCStock requires nearly 40 people PER DAY to properly staff the launch with
> no shift repeats. We're not getting anywhere close to that! That doesn't
> include all of the ad hoc issues that have to dealt with.

Is there a formal list of launch staff positions with a description of their
responsibilities? It's been awhile and other than RSO, LCO and Pad Manager, I'm
not very clear on the other positions. I know that Pad Helpers of various sorts
have been proposed and used. Can procedure changes eliminate some of the
positions? I learned how to load and connect my rockets after one go. I know
that some people aren't as quick and need more assistance until they confident
in loading their rockets, but it isn't reasonable to have to provide a high
level of support during the busiest launches. It's like taking driving lessons
during rush hour. Perhaps those people can be helped before they are on the
range. Handouts? A pad with a rocket on it at the registration tent with arrows
and notes?

> One specific example is that while I think that having a separate LPR range
> is something to consider, I believe that it is currently a non-starter simply
> because currently we can't even staff a single LPR Pad Helper position. I
> don't think that it is believable that we could staff another entire range.
> Perhaps a true misfire alley would be the answer, but those types of launch
> systems tend to break down under a heavy launch load.

This is really something that needs to get fixed. The concept of having a low
power area works for other clubs and has been suggested as something to try
with ROC and dismissed as "not feasible" with no other suggestions forthcoming.
I believe that having an LPR area would alleviate a lot of the issues on the
main range. Stating that it wouldn't be possible to staff "another entire
range" is misleading. I propose that the area is started, if not kept, small so
one adult could supervise the entire operation with no problems. SCRA conducts
their launches with two people (I was going to write that it is run with 2x 1/2
people, but that would be rude). There is often scout and other youth groups at
RocStocks. It shouldn't prove impossible to get one of their leaders to ride
herd for a while at the LPR range. Training should only take 15 min's or so if
they need to learn the NAR Safety code. A small controller shouldn't take more
than 2 min's to learn. If the range needs to be shut down for a while, it's not
a big deal. Just take the key out of the controller so the system can't be used
until another adult is found to supervise.

The LPR range is only open during posted hours.
Only A, B and C engines are allowed to keep the recovery area small and lessen
chances that it might overlap the HPR range. Maybe D engines can be
accomodated. Maybe B engines are the limit.
LPR Range only for RocStocks. Roctober and all other launches do not have it.

Without the LPR range:

The front row is only launched in rotation with all of the other pads. This
will place limits on how many LPR rockets can be launched in a day, but many of
the rockets are being launch for the second or fifth time while HPR flyers
might    be lucky to get in two launches for the day since preparation and
recovery take much more time.See my other emails from today for more words
about my experiences and delays causing crashes.
Announcements are only the flyers name, maximum
I really hate mass launches, but I'll keep it out there

I don't see adding pads as a solution or adding helpers. I notice that the
front row loads plenty fast and any waiting for people to clear is due to the
LCO skipping HPR pads. The only other situations I have seen are no HPR rockets
on the range due to lunch or wind. If those conditions obtain, there will be a
brief wait as the front row reloads. No big deal. The LCO needs to stay awake
so he is ready as soon as the range is clear and the pad manager should have
the cards ready to hand over if he hasn't done so prior to the range being
ready to launch.

> I personally believe that despite all of the good reasons to launch as many
> days as possible, compromising the safety of our launches is not an option. I
> would like to see us scale back to a level that is actually supported by the
> amount of volunteers stepping up to help. Some may say that in any club there
> is always a small cadre of folks doing most of the volunteer work and I don't
> dispute it, however, we have to scale our activities to match that level of
> participation. To me that means fewer launch days and frankly, shorter launch
> days.

I volunteer from time to time and I enjoy being LCO or Pad Manager. I haven't
been able to attend launches for some time as I went from overworked with no
time to underemployed with no money. I am working on having enough time and
money at the same time, but the job market is a mess and I am competing with
people that have masters degrees for jobs that only need a high school diploma.
I have more than a high school diploma, but even some job postings I am seeing
have some really incredible requirements. How about a sales job selling audio
amplifiers that requires a Phd? It's an employers market right now.

Spelling errors are my fault since I know how to use a spell checker.
Grammatical errors are my fault as I should have tried harder to stay awake in
english class.

Ken Brown