[roc-chat] Re: Prospective new member

  • From: Richard Dierking <redierking@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 21:22:04 +0000

I've conducted launches in Hemet for Space Camp in Idyllwild at West Valley HS.
 So, I know that you can get permits through the Hemet Fire Department.  I
think it was around $15 for the permit. For Valley Wide, this is a no go.
Valley Wide's regulations specifically prohibit model rockets.  I've tried a
couple of times to get approval, and even asked to speak to their Board of
Directors, but was turned down.  I believe that I could get CDF approval for a
model rocket launch, because I've obtained permits before.  It's too bad - a
shame really, because Diamond Valley's an excellent park that doesn't get much
use.  Sometimes, I just get tired of swimming upstream. Richard From:
jason.nordgren@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [roc-chat] Re: Prospective new member
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 12:57:07 -0800
To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

It's a little bit of a trek from Temecula (although no where near as long as
Lucerne :) ), but you might try Diamond Valley Lake Community Park (if you
haven't already). I launch there individually on occasion and my son goes to
the Western Center Academy at that site and I believe they do a launch on
occasion through the school. I don't know if they cross all their I's and dot
all their T's, but it seems to indicate that it's at least a possibility. You
can get more info at the Valley Wide Recreation website: www.vwrpd.org and I
can try to get more information from the school principal if you would like
some assistance. If you want to talk about it more off chat, feel free to email
me at jason.nordgren@xxxxxxxxxx
-Jason

On Dec 5, 2011, at 11:57 AM, Richard Dierking wrote:Sorry to say, TRG doesn't
currently have a good launch site.  I'm continuing to pursue through the City
of Temecula, but didn't have any luck over the summer.  I'm conducting a model
rocket workshop for about 30 Cub Scouts next week, and another workshop at the
Temecula Library on Weds, January 11th.  It would sure be nice having a local
launch for these kids.  Until I find one, I'm suggesting launching with ROC.

There's teacher at Lakeside High School in Lake Elsinore that might be planning
launches at the school.  It's an excellent site.  I'll check to see if they're
planning any launches.

Richard
From: jason.nordgren@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 11:35:32 -0800
To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for the correction guys. That's what I get for opening my trap before I
fully researched the topic. :) Still, as Rick and Richard both said, even if
you're not flying HP it's a very good idea.
P.S. Richard, are you still running low power launches through TRG? I live in
Hemet and it would be nice to get out for a little closer launch every now and
again.
On Dec 5, 2011, at 10:29 AM, Richard Dierking wrote:Currently, National
Association of Rocketry (NAR) or Tripoli Rocket Association (TRA) membership is
not required to fly at ROC launches, and you don't have to be a member of
either organization to be a ROC member.  However, it's true that you obtain
insurance when you join TRA or NAR - so it's a very good idea.

I'm not an insurance agent, but the insurance coverage's for both TRA and NAR
are similar.  If you're thinking about joining NAR or TRA, I suggest visiting
their websites and taking a look at the policies and the FAQ's listed for
insurance.  The deductibles are different for the two organizations.

There are other benefits of joining NAR or TRA and again I suggest checking out
their websites.  Whether to join NAR or TRA comes up frequently, and some
people feel very strongly about one or the other.  For me, I say "join both!"
NAR started out in model rocketry, and is considered the more nurturing of the
two organizations.  TRA had its beginnings in high-power and that says a lot.

If you have questions, one of the best place to get answers is at a ROC launch.
  We love rocketry and sharing information.

Hope this helps,
Richard Dierking