[roc-chat] Re: High Alt, Multi-staging, and Balloon Structure

  • From: Rick Maschek <rickmaschek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ROC-Chat <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 02:39:56 -0700

Hi Richard,

While slightly different, we are considering pre-pressurizing our motor (that
also serves as our airframe) for sugar shot. Since sugar propellant can be
brittle, one of the reasons for CATOs is the expansion of the grains when the
motor lights due to the combustion pressure. APCP is more forgiving and usually
doesn't crack when firing since the propellant has some stretch to it. To over
come this problem, we have our grains 'free floating' in the motor case with
the idea that the combustion pressure will act both from inside the core
pushing out and from between the grains and motor casing pushing inward and
thus equalizing the pressure on the propellant. Resent tests we have done with
our six inch DoubleSShot motor indicates this cracking may be happening with as
low a pressure differential as under 500 psi. If the combustion gases are not
getting around the ends of the grain assembly quick enough it might be causing
the grains to crack leading to our CATOs. Too large a gap and we loose
propellant mass or the weight and drag of a larger airframe.

For us, the extra mass of a thick flat bulkhead isn't a problem since the
bulkhead needs to be strong enough to contain the 1,000 psi combustion chamber
pressure (our CATO occurred at ~2,000 psi). A possible solution we might be
trying involves installing a Schrader like valve in the nozzle acting like a
burst disk. We pump up the motor with approx 500 psi with the valve designed to
'blow out' of the nozzle at say 700 psi. While this is different than what you
are asking, the project I'm working on below is somewhat 'similar'.
http://sugarshot.org/downloads/dss_bps_data_curves.gif
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuxTAv71Xac

I've been working on a $99 M-class motor/rocket combo. The case bonded motor
will be standard 3" PVC pipe. To withstand the chamber pressure, this motor
will be inserted into a pressurized 4" PVC pipe serving as the air frame. The
space between the two will be pressurized to ~250 psi which means the inner pvc
motor case will only see a net pressure of 250 psi if we run the combustion
chamber at 500 psi.

Not exactly what you are thinking about but it is pressurizing the rocket into
a 'balloon'.

Rick

From: allen.farrington@xxxxxx
Subject: [roc-chat] Re: High Alt, Multi-staging, and Balloon Structure
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 20:54:48 -0700
To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well, first of all, to really do a balloon tank, it has to always be
pressurized "think the Estes Dude rocket". The mass you save by making it work
under 1 G only rather than under 10 Gs isn't much.

As for the end-caps, in order to make them withstand the pressure, you can use
flat ones but the extra mass in them and their epoxy attachments will probably
outweigh the mass savings in the sidewalls.

For a L3 rocket, I would recommend NOT doing something like a balloon tank. Pro
rockets don't use them much any longer since they're not especially efficient
with newer metal alloys (except for the legacy Centaur upper stage). Some
rockets like the Falcon 9 use monocoque tanks for the LOX, but I'm not sure
that they're technically balloons..

You're going to have enough new stuff to deal with so I recommend purchasing
the tubing. You can certainly use a cardboard tube as a mandrel for making a
fiberglass or CF tube (there are YouTube videos on how to do this, but
basically you layup the tube and then soak it in a pool for a day or so to pull
out the cardboard) but it's so easy to purchase these types of tubes. In fact,
Public Missiles has some 6" tubing that's only about 38g per inch. Very light.
I've used their 3" carbon tubing and while pricy, it can withstand a LOT of Gs.
Like crashing nose-first into the playa nearly under power...don't ask me how I
know this ;-0

Well, my 2 cents...for what it's worth.

Allen

Allen H. Farrington
818-653-2284
web: http://www.allenfarrington.org

On Jun 24, 2012, at 4:25 PM, Richard Dierking wrote:

So flatwall ends will not work (i.e. they must be domed)?  Would they create
too much stress at the attachment point to the sidewall?

Please tell me more about this Allen.

Thank you,
Richard

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 3:14 PM, Allen Farrington <allen.farrington@xxxxxx>
wrote:

The hard thing about the balloon isn't the sidewalls but the domes at the ends.
Without them, you don't save any mass.

Allen
Terseness and mis-spelling courtesy of my iPhone

On Jun 24, 2012, at 11:05 AM, Richard Dierking <richard.dierking@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Thank you Jack and Kurt for the great info on the waiver.

Regarding Kurt's first question, good point.  But, I like to take risk trying
new stuff.  As usual, I will test along the way.  I'm thinking a level 3
project with properly weighted upper "stages" to simulate the stress on the
booster.  Kramer knows a lot about airframe design, so I'm considering ribs and
stringers.  Dang, it would be cool to try the balloon structure.
Again, has anyone heard about someone trying this before?

Richard

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 10:50 AM, Kurt Gugisberg <kurtgug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I guess you can save a little weight going with a thin pressurized airframe,
but is it worth the cost to experiment with such an unknown factor considering
that it might collapse under the weight of the upper stage and/or the
strap-ons?

Also, I don't think there is any problem with the FAA in flying something like
you are talking about.  You do have to submit your plans to have them approved
(at least with Aeropac) if you are going over 25K.

Kurt