[roc-chat] Re: 18mm and 24mm E, F, and G motors

  • From: Gregory Lyzenga <lyzenga@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 11:26:37 -0700

On Aug 5, 2012, at 10:33 AM, Brian Morilak <brian.morilak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey rocchat!
>
> For the next couple launches I am going to start eeking my away into the
> high(er) power regime and noticed that although all of my rockets have 18mm
> and 24mm mounts, there are various motors out there of these sizes that are
> also F and G.  I am interested in trying out these motors, namely if the
> on-site vendors have them, or if I can order them from some online locations.
> I'd be using them to 'overclock' some proven capable Estes models, such as
> the Bigdaddy and the Fatboy.   Any size recommendations to use in a model
> like this that are known to be 18 or 24mm?
>
> -Brian

One of my favorite "overclocks" is to fly the Estes Big Bertha on E and F
motors.  Plenty of stability margin, but you do have to beef up the fin
attachment or you can flutter them right off.  Ask me how I know.  :-)

                       - Greg

Gregory A. Lyzenga  <lyzenga@xxxxxxx>           ***     (909) 621-8378
Dept. of Physics, Harvey Mudd College           *** cell(626) 808-5314
Claremont, CA 91711-5990                        *** fax (909) 621-8887
<http://tinyurl.com/LyzengaPhysics>