[rmaexpress_help] Re: Difficulty in reading files

  • From: Ben Bolstad <bmb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rmaexpress_help@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 14:12:11 -0700

Hi Jun,

There are two separate issues going on here. The first is a problem with
the RMAExpress code which I will go about fixing immediately. Basically
what is happening is that it is detecting an error with the CEL file,
but failing to properly close a modal dialog box and reactivate the main
memus so it locks up.

The second issue here is actually the underlying cause of the problem.
Specifically, some of the arrays are HG_U95A and some are HG_U95Av2.
RMAExpress tries to ensure that all CEL files being read in are from the
same array type and in this case it is finding a mismatch. In particular
these are the array types for that set of files.

GSM60097.CEL: HG_U95Av2
GSM60098.CEL: HG_U95Av2
GSM60099.CEL: HG_U95A
GSM60100.CEL: HG_U95A
GSM60101.CEL: HG_U95A
GSM60102.CEL: HG_U95A
GSM60103.CEL: HG_U95A
GSM60104.CEL: HG_U95A
GSM60105.CEL: HG_U95A
GSM60106.CEL: HG_U95A
GSM60107.CEL: HG_U95A

Now this is really a special case because the U95A and U95Av2 differ
based upon only a relative handful of probesets. There are several ways
to handle this. The best way is to use the RMADataConv program basically
following the instructions in the user guide in the subsection "Merging
MG U74A and MG U74Av2 datasets" except substituting HG_U95A and
HG_U95Av2 in place for the mouse array names. With the requisite file of
overlap names available at:

The second way to handle this (and not necessarily recommended) is to
manually edit the part of the CEL files which describes the name of
appropriate array type so that they are all identical and just pretend
that all the arrays are really of one type only.

Hope this helps,

Ben Bolstad <bmb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>