[riscosweb] Met Office

  • From: Chris Terran <chris.terranova@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: riscosweb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 01:49:59 GMT

The redesigned Met Office site:

  http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/

is now unusable without Javascript.

Previously the site was fine in non-JS browsers, only using it for
animation effects, which is fair enough. But now, as far as I can see
you can't access most information at all without JS. Not even a simple
UK forecast. There is no text-only version. The only way I've found to
get some information in NetSurf is to click on the map for a particular
location; no other 'links' work.

This makes a mockery of their supposed accessibility. It doesn't just
affect RISC OS users -- some public library computers have JS disabled,
as do some business machines. Not providing even a basic alternative
service is pretty shocking for a publicly funded body.

Rather seriously, you can't even see the Severe Weather Warnings.

I've left some feedback to this effect on their site (at least I could
do that :-/ ).

Calling Matthew Somerville...?   ;-)

Best, Chris

--
*** Chris & Lee's Photodesk tutorials, tips and resources
*** http://www.photodesk.iconbar.com *** New tiles!