[riscosweb] Re: Browsers not responding to charset=ISO-8859-2

  • From: Paul Vigay <lists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: riscosweb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 10:44:35 +0000 (GMT)

On 14 Nov, Russell Hafter - Lists <rh_lists@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
[Snip]

> But it seems totally the wrong way round to me.

Me too. I'm starting to get quite confused by all of this.....

> If the encoding that the server sends cannot be overridden by a different
> encoding in a particular page of a website, how on earth is one meant to
> construct a website that may require any number of different charsets?

I agree with you. It doesn't quite make sense.

> Or do I have to find a separate hosting company just for Japanese pages,
> who will promise me that their servers will never send out any charset
> statements?

Well, at least you've currently got a hosting site who are flexible enough
to be able to offer per user server settings, so if we work out exactly
what you require, I'm sure I can configure your particular webspace in a
particular way.
However, I'd have thought there ought to be a way of overwriting the
default values, otherwise what's the point of having meta tags on the page
in the first place?

> It all seems utterly crazy to me[1]. What is the logic anyway in a server
> sending out charset definitions? Surely that ought to be down to a) the
> document writer and b) the person actually reading the document.

Indeed.

Paul

--
Paul Vigay                 __\\|//__            Life,
                           (` o-o ')        the Universe

I'm the one with the gun, remember?