[riscosweb] Browsers not responding to charset=ISO-8859-2

  • From: Russell Hafter - Lists <rh_lists@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: riscosweb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 13:48:51 +0000 (GMT)

In article <4E84114E7F%mik.towse@xxxxxxxxx>, Mik Towse
<mik.towse@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <4555A6EF.3080304@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Matthew
> Somerville wrote:

> > Russell Hafter - Lists wrote:
> > > Any ideas why this would be>
> > Your server is returning the following HTTP header for
> > that page:

How do you find that out? I did not know that servers did
anything of the kind! Surely it would make more sense for
the document head to override a generalised server supplied
charset declaration?

> > which overrides anything you give in a meta element in
> > the HTML. You will need to alter your server
> > configuration to serve the correct charset in the
> > header.

Or, in my case, talk to Paul Vigay at Orpheus which bosts
the website.

As the page at <http://www.cycling-in-germany.co.uk/lab.htm>
which is hosted by Lycos and also has in the document head
correctly. So presumably they let the webpage deal with the
charset declaration?

> I can't remember, but was there a 'xml' encoding at the
> top of the page? This would override the meta tag, too.

No, there is no mention of xml anywhere on any of my
webpages.

Thanks for the advice so far!

--
Russell Hafter
(Literally) on the edge of the Lake District National Park