[riscos-python] New version of python 3.8 (3.8.8)

  • From: Chris Johns <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: riscos-python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 15:54:52 +0000

Hi

Firstly, sorry for the lack of updates for a while. Lockdown and home schooling have taken away a lot of my free time (not that I had much in the first place).

Python 3.8 has been updated to 3.8.8 on the testing site. (either use http://packages.lessthan3.org.uk/pkg/testing as a source, or download them manually from http://packages.lessthan3.org.uk/)

There is a small update to the core package to go with it.

I would be interested to know how upgrades go before I release it to the "main" servers. I've given it a quick run up but not had time for much more. I really should get the test suite working :)

Secondly.. Python might well benefit from using the VFP floating point stuff. I've so far avoided it because of the overheads of doing the two builds. For the next major release, I am wondering if I should look at using VFP. I think all "new" hardware has it, however VirtualRPC doesn't.

Until I can get some sort of automated system I don't want to be building VFP / non VFP versions of everything - the release process is painful enough as it is, so switching to VFP would exclude VirtualRPC, which might be an issue for some. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Cheers

Chris