[riscos-printing] Re: Upgrading to a new printer

  • From: David R Lane <D_Lane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: riscos-printing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 11:37:45 GMT

In message <754bc25752.davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Dave Higton <davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <20be2b5752.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> In message <efac295752.BrianFerris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>           Brian <brferris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello
>>> Looking through the latest printers at Amazon, eg top selling Epson
>>> models and at John Lewis.
>>> I had difficulty matching any printers from the the current Gutenprint
>>> list 2.40
>>> I know the world of printers and drivers for us will never be
>>> identical or the most up to date, but it makes choosing  a printer
>>> difficult.
>>> Are there any developments regarding the updating of the printer
>>> drivers?
>>
>> There will be an update with more than 170 new colour printer models
>> soon, but I am still waiting for the full release of the next Linux
>> version (5.2.8).

[snip pre-release gutenprint drivers}

> [snip: an impressively long list of newly supported printers,
> including a couple I've had my eye on]

> The danger is that, by the time it's been released and you've done
> your bit, none of them will be available any more except second
> hand.

> Dave

Hi Brian,

I was asking just your question to this email list about 4 months
back.
SASAUG (Surrey and Sussex Acorn User Group) members were telling me to
buy a postscript printer and not worry about the RISC OS and Linux
lack of drivers for current printers. Like you, I was looking at the
Gutenprint list of drivers (for Linux) and finding that it was no more
comprehensive than the RISC OS list on Martin Wuerthner's web site.

It seems that there aren't any inkjet postscript printers; but,
apparently, there have been in the past. So I bought an HP postscript
laser colour printer[1]. Naively, I thought I had to first convert any
file I wanted printed to a postscript file, but you just drag the file
to the postscript printer icon and away it goes! Easy. Of course, you
need to install a postscript printer in Printers.

I found this amazing, that is, the fact that it is supposed to work
with any postscript printer. In a stroke it eliminates the printer
driver problem.

A downside is that folk say that it doesn't do fotographs as well as
an inkjet printer; but, in this household, we have decided that it is
easier and cheaper to take the file of fotos to Jessops for any we
want printed (not BOOTS, the tax dodgers).

Perhaps you know all this already, but it may be useful for others.

[1] HPCP1525N

Cheers,
David Lane

--
Q: What do Microsoft and McDonald's have in common?
A: They both cause bloating.