[riscos-printing] Re: GutenPrint and Canon printers

  • From: Dave Higton <davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: riscos-printing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 22:57:03 GMT

In message <e62cbebc4e.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Please try again with GPDriver 2.04, available from:
> http://www.mw-software.com/software/gutenprint/downloads/gpdriver204.zip
> Simply replace your copy by this new one.
>
> I would appreciate if a few of the existing beta testers (or users who
> got the download password at the South West Show) could try this new
> release and send me a quick report to confirm that it works. If that
> new version turns out to work OK, then this will turn into the proper
> release version.

I've just tried a 3-page document with gpdriver204.zip to my Epson
Stylus Photo RX620, which went OK.  There was only one line per
page; I hope this is enough.

I've also done a small colour photo print with the brightness raised
to 1.5, and it's about right on the (cheap) paper I'm using.  The
print has a cast away from blue and towards red, so blue skies turn
grey and Florentine buildings with those orange and sand colours
appear perhaps a bit vivid, so there's still some room for tweaking
on my part.

I printed the photo out with "Print in the background" ticked, which
I have avoided before.  It still took an age, and still kept single
tasking the processor for several seconds at a time, but it worked.
I also had a large copy in progress to a Linux box via Sunfish at
the same time.  (Pausing the latter didn't seem to speed up the
print, though.)

I had thought that I shouldn't tick "Print in the background", but
I don't know why.  I'm using RemotePrinterFS JetDirect to a Netgear
PS121 print server.  Is this a limitation of Gutenprint, or of
RemotePrinterFS, or am I imagining the limitation?

Dave