EchoLink -- freeware for hams!

  • From: Gleason Sackmann <gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Radio in the Classroom <ric@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 10:35:34 -0600

From: aninno@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 11:24:55 -0500

EchoLink -- Chat with hams, globally, on radio repeater stations & the
Internet
http://www.synergenics.com/el/

"EchoLink is software which allows Amateur Radio stations to communicate
with one another over the Internet, using voice-over-IP (VoIP)
technology.  The program allows worldwide connections to be made between
stations, from computer to station, or from computer to computer.  There
are more than 73,000 registered users in 129 countries worldwide!"

Actually, the currreny number of registered users is much closer to
100,000 worldwide!!!  For example, my node is: 95527 ( for N2RUD ).  I
just installed EchoLink on my PC at home, connected a $10 headset with
mic, and was talking to New Zealand...just minutes after downloading the
software.  Amazing!  Some of the hams I chatted with were on computers,
while others were talking from ham radios in cars and homes.  Over the
weekend, I went to Radio Shack, and picked up a switch that enables me to
toggle from PC speakers to headset speakers.  When family is nearby, I
switch to the headset to minimize the noise in the ham shack -- very
convenient.

EchoLink is a lot of fun, and so cheap.  Or, as my daughter, the high
school senior likes to put it... "Dad!  This is totally random!"

Anton