[retrochallenge] Re: Would CrateSynth running on an AppleCrate qualify?

  • From: MJMahon@xxxxxxx
  • To: retrochallenge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 18:03:19 EDT

In a message dated 7/2/2005 4:42:04 AM Pacific Standard Time,
byron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> On Sat, Jul 02, 2005 at 04:53:19AM -0400, MJMahon@xxxxxxx wrote:
> >Several folks in the Apple II community have suggested that
> >I should enter CrateSynth in the music category.
> <snip>
> >What's your thinking?
>
> I'm thinking that the results of your project are very impressive.
> (For those who don't know about it, look here for CrateSynth and
> the AppleCrate:
>
> http://members.aol.com/MJMahon/

Thanks, Byron!

> I will suggest entering it into the music competition, creating
> explanatory notes so that the judges can decide for themself.  This
> could be something like what you already have on your website, but
> perhaps a bit more detailed for the non-Apple II users (possibly
> including samples of "typical" Apple II sound), and a bit more
> condensed in the development process (I'm sure that Cory would take
> submissions for MLAgazine if you wanted to write about how CrateSynth
> was developed).

I suppose I could do that.  I'll have to take a look at what else
won't get done then...

I have to wonder at the wisdom of letting people who are unfamiliar
with the capabilities and limitations of a platform judge efforts on
that platform.  Most platforms have a rich history of accomplishment,
within which new accomplishments can be fairly judged.

WRT publication, I'd be happy to have someone pick up what
I've done, but plan to spend my efforts adding papers to my web
site, which can go into much greater detail for those who want to
understand how it all works or build one of their own.

  It would be best if you recorded another tune,

> just so that you can say that you kept the relevant bits in the
> competition period.

I could certainly do that, though my natural inclination is to
expand and improve the instrument voices for In My Life right now.

I will see if I can find a comparably good MIDI rendition of a
popular tune using instrumentation for which I have most of the
voices...

The last month has been spent "upgrading" NadaNet to deliver
about a 10% speed boost, more compact and beautiful code,
and greater tolerance of long networks or networks with too little
pulldown resistance.  One advantage to a software network is
that upgrades are just software.  ;-)

> A couple of ideas for *next year*: a hardware hack category.
> Something like your NadaNet is quite interesting, and it deserves
> as much recognition as it can get.  Open the hardware and program
> category to be anything developed over the last year.  I realise
> that it is a bit much to put developers on the spot like this.

Yes, a "timed competition" is much less interesting to me, as
life has its own demands on my time.

NadaNet and AppleCrate were not intended as just "hacks"--they
were meant to be, and are, useful infrastructure for ongoing
parallel programming experiments, which I find very interesting.

-michael