[retrochallenge] Re: So how are things so far?

  • From: orngtbby@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Thomas Meek)
  • To: retrochallenge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 20:13:56 -0500

>On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 09:44:18AM +1000, David Shepherd wrote:
>> If you can find it, MacWeb works on a MacPlus with System 6...i think.
>
>Try here for older Mac browsers:
>
>http://home.earthlink.net/~gamba2/browsers.html
>
>I think you actually need MacWWW.  If memory serves me correctly,
>MacWeb was a commercial browser which required System 7.
>
>MacWWW is also supposed to be very buggy.  It's too bad that the
>creator of Wannabe didn't support System 6, because it would run
>well on old machines.
>
>Byron.

Byron;
        I have tried MacWWW, and it is cussedly buggy on System 6. It does
work okay on System 7, though, in case anybody wanted to do so. MacWeb does
work on the Plus with system 7, but not 6. A while ago, one of the more
talented System 6 fanatics was working on a 6 compatible web browser, text
only of course, but I haven't heard how it is coming along or if they gave
up or what...

Thomas