[retrochallenge] Remote hosts rule ...

  • From: "Byron Q. Desnoyers Winmill" <byron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: retrochallenge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 13:25:17 -0400

In order to demonstrate the utility of legacy systems in the modern
world, a computer must use remote services.  This was also common
throughout the 1980's and early 1990's as people started getting
online via a diverse number of networks.

On the otherhand, the capabilities offered by these remote systems
could far exceed the capacity of any computer system of that era
(as an example, I have used one of the top 500 supercomputers via
SSH)) so certain restrictions should be in place.  I propose the
following restrictions.

- You cannot login to a non-qualifying system in your home.

- There are no restrictions on non-persistent connections (eg. HTTP).
- You are restricted to character based sessions for persistent
  connections (eg. Remote Desktop, VNC, and X11 do not qualify)

Comments or suggestions?

Byron.