[retrochallenge] PC Terminal

  • From: "Lorance Stinson" <lorancestinson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: retrochallenge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 13:23:12 -0400

I have a 286 laptop I have been attempting to use as a console for my
SPARC Classic. Of the several terminal programs tried only 2 actually
work well for me. I thought I would share my findings in case any of
you are using old PCs.

MS-DOS Kermit:
http://ftp.columbia.edu/kermit/msk314.html
This is an implementation of a Kermit client that works on an XT and
up. Being Kermit you are presented with a command line and must
configure it using commands, not menus. Once you figure out what
settings you want change MSCUSTOM.INI, check near the bottom. I
recommend uncomment the line that enables full VT320 key mappings. It
works quite well and is my preferred choice. Several terminal types
are supported. It supposedly supports TCP/IP. I have not tried to use
this since I only want a serial console.

QVT:
ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/termprog/qvt374.zip
This is a VT220 terminal emulator. It has menus and seems to work
pretty well. Unless you have color it is very hard to configure though
since the menus appear as a grey patch on the monochrome LCD. The
speed is limited to 19200, which should be fine for use as a terminal.
This is shareware and the price is $30 or $45 depending on the
keyboard option.

The Garbo archive has lots of other terminal programs and other
software. Check them out if you need some software for DOS.
http://garbo.uwasa.fi/

--
Lorance Stinson
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lorancestinson/