[relug] [semi OT] Opener Malware for macosx

  • From: Luca Bigliardi - shammash <shammash@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: RElug <relug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 19:26:24 +0200

rigiro da /. :

| 'Opener' Malware Targets OS X                                      |
|   from the laugh-it-up-fuzzball dept.                              |
|   posted by michael on Saturday October 23, @05:02 (OS X)          |
|   http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/10/23/0229241        |

[0]the_webmaestro writes "[1]Macintouch.com is [2]covering the "opener"
malware, a new and potential vulnerability which affects [3]Mac OS X. If
true (it's not on [4]HoaxBusters yet), this could become a Mac user's
worst nightmare... Worse even than Microsoft Word [5]macro [6]viruses
(heretofore the only real 'viruses' which threatened Mac users)!
Normally, when ever I'd see virus alerts, I'd revel in the fact that as a
Mac user, I was immune (except for the slow-down of the net, the loss in
productivity of my colleagues, and the increase in SPAM--often coming
from my friends and colleagues). [Sigh] Perhaps, my days of telling
friends and family that there are no viruses for Macs may be coming to an
end. There have been [7]stories."

Discuss this story at:
    http://apple.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=04/10/23/0229241

Links:
    0. http://homepage.mac.com/webmaestro/
    1. http://macintouch.com/
    2. http://macintouch.com/opener.html
    3. http://www.apple.com/macosx/
    4. http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/
    5.
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/macro.viruses.html
    6.
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/macro.viruses.overview.html
    7. http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/02/28/0343241&tid=172

ciao
        Luca

--
BOFH excuse #372:
Forced to support NT servers; sysadmins quit.

Linux Registered User # 286841