[regional_school] Re: [ccse_core] Fw: RE: Video!/SchoolRespectMutual?

  • From: Dan Drmacich <dandrmacich@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ccse_core@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ccse_core@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "regional_school@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <regional_school@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 07:05:35 -0800 (PST)

Harry, A couple of points:
1. You often refer to the wonderful Finnish system of education, which I agree
with. However, you fail to make the connection with the variables that allow
the Finns to have such a great system of teaching & learning: (1) No emphasis
on high-stakes, standardized testing, (2) A publicly respected teaching
profession, & competetive salaries to enhance recruitment (3) Great flexibility
with the curriculum to meet student needs, (4) a low poverty rate,  (5) a
curriculum that emphasizes creativity & higher level thinking skills, (6)
Systemic processes for schools to exchange ideas & help one another, (7) an
emphasis on student growth & development vs. competitiveness and, (8) A
progressive, research-based national department of education. Rochester, NYS,
and the U.S., have none of these characteristics emphasized, accepted or even
experimented with! Our governments & agencies, in fact discourage any of these
variables from being seriously implemented.
2. Given the above realities, plus the disenfranchisment, and frustration that
the urban poor experience, plus the continuous refusal by the power structures
to seriously listen to the research and to public voices, no wonder there is
anger directed at the power structures, like BOEs.
That's not to say that there shouldn't be respect when demonstrations take
place; but you have to understand the discouragement and frustration that many
folks who are concerned about social justice, are currently experiencing.