[regional_school] Quality and educational reform

  • From: Keith Rankin <keithwrankin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Regional School <regional_school@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 08:25:48 -0400

Coming from a business background, largely as a consultant to Xerox and Kodak,
I believe there is one important lesson that we could learn from businees and
that is to focus on "PROCESS NOT PEOPLE" in other words adopt the principles of
QUALITY as put forward by Demming, Juran and others.

When I see these reform initiatives come out they are quite often prescriptive,
and might not always fit the particulars of individual districts, schools,
classes or students. Taking a Quality approach (e.g. Six-Sigma) allows those
people who understand the unique situation to make changes.

For The Regional Academy to stay evergreen and contiunually improve will
require a culture of openess, where "finger pointing" goes away and is replaced
with the knowledge that if there is a problem it comes from the process.

Yes We Can!

Keith

Keith W. Rankin
44 Creston Court