[regional_school] Re: Progress?

  • From: neilcho@xxxxxxx
  • To: regional_school@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 11:54:39 -0400 (EDT)

Good news, Bill. Keep us posted. I'm ready to pitch in whenever we can begin
again to plan/flesh out the Regional School.  Time is important, if only for
all the children who will pass by while we are in process and miss out on this
possibility.  They will not be back this way again.  But in the long-run, it
only matters that we make this happen for all future children.  So getting it
done right, on whatever schedule, is the key.

Neil

From: wcala@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: regional_school@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [regional_school] Progress?
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 08:36:05 -0400

Hello All….

Yesterday, Tom Frey, Bryan Hetherington, Tim Glander and I met with Bogen
Vargas and his staff to continue our efforts to get the Regional Academy off
the ground. As you can imagine, there have been many meetings like these over
the past two years.  What makes this meeting different, is that for the first
time (in my opinion) there seems to be an inch of progress with RCSD.  We will
be working on a retooling of our legislative package.  When this is complete
Bolgen will take the legislative bill to the RCSD board and proceed with formal
approval.

The plan is then to have the bill put up for a vote in the legislature as a
priority item in the first legislative session of the new year.  Once the
legislation is finally in the books then the train will be able to pick up
speed.  There are still many “ifs” that can spontaneously appear to derail the
train.  We remain committed to this effort as we are convinced that it is the
only viable solution for children of poverty.  We continue to pursue in spite
of roadblocks we have encountered since 2009. We continue to pursue because it
is the right thing to do.  We continue to pursue because the direction of
education here and across the country is on a frightening path. We continue to
pursue to provide a spark of hope for those who have no voice.  I will keep you
informed of our progress and we caterpillar our way through the bureaucratic
realities both here and in Albany.

Thank you all for your past work on this project and your continued support.

Bill

--

Elizabeth Osta
Author of Jeremiah's Hunger