[regional_school] Letter to the editor

  • From: William Cala <wcala9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: regional <regional_school@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 07:57:24 -0500 (EST)

In today's D and C. the following letter appeared.  Perhaps more poignant that
the content (albeit significant) is the author of the letter.

Democrat and Chronicle

3-3-10

Don't follow the D.C. schools model

I do not seek to enter into the debate over Rochester Mayor Robert Duffy's
effort to take over Rochester public schools. However, the Rochester Area
Colleges, a consortium of Rochester public and private universities, colleges
and community colleges, which supports the mayoral takeover, has used the
mayoral takeover of Washington , D.C. , public schools as a model of success.
This is where I must speak out. Mayoral takeover of Washington , D.C. , public
schools has not proven to be highly successful. This group of presidents and
others who support Mayor Duffy's plan do a great disservice to the people of
Rochester if the Washington , D.C. , model is used.

— ROBERT VINSON BRANNUM
WASHINGTON , D.C.
The writer is president of the D.C. Federation of Civic Associations Inc.