[regional_school] Re: How well does the standards movement stack up?

  • From: "William Cala" <wcala@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <regional_school@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 15:43:40 -0500

Media literacy is extremely important and must become an integral part of
teaching and learning.   I would not want to see, however, a diminution of
traditional literacy as I view it as a path to media literacy.  Perhaps
Brian Bailey can weigh in.

Bill

Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 09:37:40 -0500
From: stell5@xxxxxxx
To: regional_school@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
up?

From the standpoint of students, teachers, education, and society the
standards movement has been harmful and destructive, achieving no
progressive goals. But it has been a huge success from the standpoint of
"education reformers" and the corporate world. The use of standards, tests,
data, and metrics over the last 20-30 years has allowed these forces to
successfully usher in many of the new arrangements they want under the
veneer of high ideals.