[regional_school] Finland and national standards :)

  • From: "Dina Strasser" <Dstrasser2703@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: regional_school@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 14:13:14 -0400

Bill and the Regional School listserv:

Below a copy of the email/blog comment I left for our Education secretary
today. I imagine that this is as a feather brushing against a Boeing, but we
all know what Margaret Mead says about that.

I would appreciate ANY help, no matter how small you think it might be, in the
herculean task of getting this Finnish document from my little classroom onto
Mr. Duncan's desk. I do not want to assume that he knows it or what it
contains.

Sincerely,

Dina

Mr. Duncan:

I am a public middle school educator of 11 years in New York State, dually
certified in language arts and English as a Second Language. Recently I came
across documentation of Finland?s 2003 upper secondary national curriculum
standards. Since your time
is understandably limited, I would refer you to five pages solely (23-27): the
cross-curricular themes. I?ve provided the link and a sample from them below.

I would urge you to consider whether these, or related standards, are
adequately represented or articulated on a national level in America. It is my
personal impression that the holistic vision this document provides? a common,
nuanced understanding of
the ?why?? of education? is missing in our country. The current movement to
create national standards is one which gives me hope that such a vision may be
established and nourished. Any national content-specific standards can only be
strengthened by that
vision. Indeed, I would argue along with countless educational researchers that
without such a guiding vision? one that moves beyond mere functionalism or
economic utility? content-specific standards are rendered impotent, lacking
genuine commitment from
both educators and students.

Sincerely,

Dina Strasser

[ http://www.oph.fi/english/page.asp?path=447,27598,37840,72101,72105
]http://www.oph.fi/english/page.asp?path=447,27598,37840,72101,72105

The need and desire of students for life-long learning must be reinforced.

Cooperation, interaction and communication skills must be developed by means of
different forms of collaborative learning.

Upper secondary schools must develop students? abilities to recognize and deal
with ethical issues involving communities and individuals.

Education must help students recognize their personal uniqueness.

Education must stimulate students to engage in artistic activities, to
participate in artistic and cultural life, and to adopt lifestyles that promote
health and well-being.

Students will be capable of facing the challenges presented by the changing
world in a flexible manner, be familiar with means of influence, and possess
the will and courage to take action.

An upper secondary school community must create prerequisites for experiencing
inclusion, reciprocal support and justice. These are important sources of joy
in life.

Human beings must learn how to adapt to the conditions of nature and the limits
set by global sustainability.

Upper secondary schools must reinforce students? positive cultural identity and
knowledge of cultures.

Students will observe and critically analyze the relationship between the world
as described by media, and reality.