[redwoodmen] FW: Reminder: Day of the Dead Ritual

  • From: barry spector <shmoover@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Barry Spector <shmoover@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 11:24:55 -0700

Grandfather, Grandmother:
Look at our brokenness.
We know that in all creation
Only the human family
Has strayed from the Sacred Way.
We know that we are the ones
Who are divided
And we are the ones
Who must come back together
To walk the Sacred Way.
Grandfather, Grandmother:
Sacred Ones,
Teach us love, compassion, and honor
That we may heal the earth
And heal each other.
        -- Ojibway Prayer

Hi, there:  This is a reminder about our

Day of the Dead Ritual on November 1st.

If you haven¹t decided whether or not to come, please consider:

We¹re all doing what we can, in our own ways, to make a better world.
Periodically we need an opportunity to release some of the weight and burden
we are carrying. We all have moments of feeling isolated and can benefit
from tapping into a feeling of community for a day. Will it be helpful for
you to grieve, with others, the persons ? and possibilities ? you  have
lost? We believe it is useful to acknowledge the Dark Time of the year, of
the world, of our souls. And some of us may need to acknowledge or make
peace with our ancestors.

We have created this ritual for the sake of our extended community.  Your
presence would be a gift to this community, even if you aren't currently
suffering from personal loss.

Whether or not you have lost a loved one recently, and regardless of who
wins the election, the wars will go on. Americans, Iraqis, Israelis,
Palestinians, Afghans, Haitians and Sudanese will continue to die. Global
warming will continue to worsen. The numbers of homeless people on our
streets will grow.  And worldwide 35,000 children will die ? today and every
day ? of malnutrition.  We're either feeling sadness and sorrow or we are
going numb!

If money is a problem, please let us know -- scholarships are available.
We can get you in touch with others if you need a ride. No one will be
turned away for lack of funds. What we need for the ritual to work is your
presence, your attention, your willingness to go into the darkness, or
simply to support others in their grief.

If you haven't let us know that you are coming, please do so.  If you're
planning to bring a friend, please let us know. Save some money with advance
payment.  Instructions and directions will be sent next week. Join us.

Love, Barry and Maya
shmoover@xxxxxxxxxxx
650-329-1415

Barry and Maya Spector invite you to our annual
Day of the Dead Ritual
Saturday, November 1st, 9:00-6:00
Hillside Church, El Cerrito

Whether or not we have recently lost loved ones, we all carry a heavy load
of grief and stress simply by living in these times. When we can¹t find ways
to drop the weight of this emotional burden, we can become hopeless, bitter
or numb. Letting it go makes room for a new kind of imagination to enter.
The release of these emotions requires a safe space and a caring community.

We will take a full day to help each other remember our ancestors and our
personal and collective losses. In some traditions, this is the time of year
when the veil between our world and the unseen world is thin; it is an
opportune time to complete any unfinished business that prevents us from
fully participating in life.

This will be a day of mourning and remembrance, but also of great beauty and
celebration. There will be poetry, storytelling, drumming, altar-building
and chanting from African, Celtic, Mexican and Vietnamese traditions. We
have facilitated this ritual for over ten years.

COST: $30 in advance, $50 at the door.
Please RSVP to receive detailed instructions.

NO ONE REFUSED. WORK SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE.

Send your check to Barry at 3751 Bay Road, Menlo Park, 94025
Call 650-329-1415 /email shmoover@xxxxxxxxxxx for more information.
Please feel free to tell your friends. El Cerrito is just north of Berkeley.

www.barryandmayaspector.com

------ End of Forwarded Message

- For technical information about this list ,go to:
//www.freelists.org/help/index.html
- Redwood Men's Center webpage:
http://redwoodmen.org/
- Redwood Men's Center Administrative contact:
lyncon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Please be patient, a response may take a few days.)
- For technical issues related to this list:
cwa.2@xxxxxxxxx