[redwoodmen] Barry Spector speaks on KPFA December 7th and at Modern Times Bookstore on December 8th

  • From: Barry Spector <shmoover@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Barry Spector <shmoover@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 11:26:27 -0800

You are invited to hear
Barry Spector in three Bay Area events reading from his new book,

Madness at the Gates of the City:
The Myth of American Innocence

TUESDAY, DECEMBER 7th, 3:00 PM
Jennifer Stone interviews Barry on KPFA Radio/ 94.1 FM

WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 8th, 7:00pm
MODERN TIMES BOOKSTORE
888 Valencia Street, San Francisco 415-282-9246

SATURDAY, DECEMBER 11th, 6:30-9:30 PM
A symposium at MERIDIAN UNIVERSITY, Petaluma:
=B3MADNESS AT THE GATE: POWER, CULTURE AND INNOCENCE=B2
http://www.meridianuniversity.edu/index.php/upcoming-public-programs

This is truly an original work. =AD=A0Howard Zinn,=A0author of=A0A People=B9s
History
of the United States

The book looks at America through the lenses of Greek mythology, indigenous
wisdom and archetypal psychology. It shows how we enact old patterns that
cause us to subvert our goals, miss the deeper meaning in events and,
perhaps, fail to prevent our headlong slide into cultural collapse.=A0
=A0
Dionysus was the Greek god of ecstasy, tragedy and madness. But that was
long ago. Or was it? After two millennia of Christianity and five centuries
of science, Dionysus =AD or his modern substitutes =AD persists in our
imagination as =B3the Other.=B2 He is everything that America has cast into the
shadows: woman, nature, the body and especially race. As such, he provides =
unique window into American history and culture, and especially the current
political madness.=A0

Early white Americans developed literature, theology and political rhetoric
that over time gradually coalesced into narratives of new beginnings, heroi=
destiny and good intentions. However, these stories veiled deep strains of
Puritanism, racism and imperialism, and they utilized the threat of dark
strangers =AD first Indians, witches and slaves, then communists =AD to provoke
our anxieties. After four centuries, fear of the Other, now as terrorists
and immigrants, still defines us as =B3not them.=B2

Written in plain English, Madness At The Gates Of The City discovers a new
imagination for the future in very old ways of thinking: at the core, the
Other is ourselves. It should appeal to anyone interested in myth, Classics=
,
history, psychology or progressive politics. It will provide much new
insight for people searching for new ways to understand how we behave in th=
world and what we might become. -- from the foreword by=A0Robert A.
Johnson,=A0author of=A0We=A0and=A0Inner Work

=8Adisturbing and evocative, mythologically wise and instructive=8AThis is a
work that should be read by anyone who wants to make a difference. --=A0Jean
Houston,=A0author of=A0A Mythic Life

Our world lives, loves, suffers and triumphs by myth, often unseen and
unconsidered. In the tradition of Carl Jung and Joseph Campbell, Barry
Spector makes myths come alive; he helps us in the desperately important
task of re-imagining our way. =AD=A0Jack Kornfield,=A0author of=A0A Path With
Heart

=8Amight help us look more honestly at the false innocence that sustains our
illusions about the American dream and prevents our acknowledging its dark
underside. =AD =A0Christine Downing,=A0author of=A0The Goddess and past
president o=
the American Academy of Religion.

=8Aechoes with penetrating ideas and mythic nuances. =AD=A0Michael
Meade,=A0author
of=A0The World Behind the World

=8Aa devastating critique of contemporary America's attitudes towards the
imagined outsider. =AD =A0Carl Ruck,=A0Professor of Classics, Boston University

=8A Spector imagines a New America, one at peace with itself, its real self,
not its imagined self. =AD =A0Mumia Abu-Jamal,=A0author of=A0Jailhouse
Lawyers=A0

Website: http://www.madnessatthegates(dot)com
Blog: http://madnessatthegates.posterous.com/
Facebook:=20
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Madness-at-the-Gates-of-the-City-The-Myth-of-=
merican-Innocence/114141551974711

------ End of Forwarded Message

------ End of Forwarded Message

- For technical information about this list ,go to:
//www.freelists.org/help/index.html
- Redwood Men's Center webpage:
http://redwoodmen.org/
- Redwood Men's Center Administrative contact:
lyncon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Please be patient, a response may take a few days.)
- For technical issues related to this list:
cwa.2@xxxxxxxxx