[realmusicians] Re: Renaming my studio

  • From: "Tom Kingston" <tom.kingston@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <realmusicians@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2010 05:42:32 -0500

No problem, Ramy. As I've said before, my only concern with the name is letting people know that you offer more than a recording studio. When people think of a recording studio they don't think of piano and voice instruction. So this may take a lot more serious thought. And as I've also said, it would depend on how you plan to setup your business. Is it going to be something you run out of your home or in commercial space? Will the location in-and-of itself be seen by lots of people? In other words, will it be in the center of the city or tucked away out in a residential neighborhood? These are the things that will determine how important advertising is for your business. For example, if you're going to be in the middle of the city a sign with a sub-title will let everyone who sees it know what you do. Conversely, if you're in a residential area that same sign will give you little exposure. Then you've got to come up with other ways of getting the word out and doing so in a manner that won't make people think you're just a recording studio. As I've said, if I heard about Ramy's Recording Studio that is all I would think it was, a recording studio. So I wouldn't even give it a second thought if I were looking for piano or voice lessons.

And finally, though this may seem trivial, I believe the name of a business is a lot more important than we think. Consider Chris's studio; Affordable Studio services. That says it all in three words. Yes, he offers instruction and tutorials, but the studio was his main investment. And that's what needs to work. So perhaps you should ask yourself this question. What is the most important aspect of the business you want to start? Do you want to be a recording engineer who offers a couple other services along with your studio? or do you want to be and instructor who offers studio services when you can get that work?

Good luck,
Tom

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ramy Moustafa" <moshtaqlealganna@xxxxxxxxx>