[realmusicians] Re: Questions.

  • From: Gudrun Brunot <gbrunot@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: realmusicians@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 22:25:02 -0700

Sandy, I use SoundForge for that sort of thing.  What I do is this:

Try to find a loud spot in a specific track that you know.

Check your meters with shift f11 and f12. If they are not clipping, showing less than -0.1, you're okay. If they show way below, and the track you're examining seems lower than other tracks, boost the volume. You know how much you can afford to do so without clipping, since you've checked your loudest spot.

Do the same with other tracks you have questions about.

I don't know of any surefire automatic way of doing this. I use a lot of recorded music for my radio shows, and it comes from all kinds of sources--old, scratchy vinyls, old hissy tapes, brand-new, spankingly digital CD's, you name it. If you've got a soft nocturne, you could be tempted to boost the level up, but be careful until you've checked the loudest spot in the recording. I don't know if there is a trick for finding the loudest spot. I basically scroll through until I find a passionate section and check my decibels.

Maybe someone else has a more scientific approach.

Best of luck,

Gudrun
At 06:19 PM 10/14/2009, you wrote:
My husband is wanting to modify the volume in some classical music he will be downloading to his MP3 player. He wants to get it at a more even level, so the loud parts won't blast him out of bed, and the soft parts disappear altogether. I suggested he use Sound Forge 8. We have the disks, and we can install that easily enough on his computer. Is Sound Forge the proper tool, and what tools within Sound Forge itself would he need to use to accomplish his purposes. I have used it very little, so I can't help him much. I went to the Team Talk server to see if anyone was there. There is not a sign of life.

                Sandy Licht
Turn right, then go straight!

        Jeremiah 29:11-14 (Amplified Bible)

11For I know the thoughts and plans that I have for you, says the Lord, thoughts and plans for welfare and peace and not for evil, to give you hope in your final outcome.

12Then you will call upon Me, and you will come and pray to Me, and I will hear and heed you.

13Then you will seek Me, inquire for, and require Me [as a vital necessity] and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.(A)

14I will be found by you, says the Lord, and I will release you from captivity and gather you from all the nations and all the places to which I have driven you, says the Lord, and I will bring you back to the place from which I caused you to be carried away captive.

Gudrun
Web: gudrunbrunot.com