[realmusicians] Re: Fastest Possible USB Thumb Drive

  • From: Chris Belle <cb1963@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: realmusicians@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 21:30:26 -0600

I believe it was the f3 if they still make them.

all the drives now are outrageiously priced, because of the big flood in China though.

Not a good time to buy drives.

At 09:26 PM 11/17/2011, you wrote:
What did you say was the model number on your Samsung hard drives?

On 11/17/2011 9:52 PM, Chris Belle wrote:
Do you remember on midimag when Patric got his solid state drive, and he
had to get a raid card to keep up with the through-put?

I think he spent some money for his solid state drive, I don't know if
it's one of the really fast pure slc ones, but there are some hybrids
that are fairly fast.

But are the drive controlers in your machine fast enough to keep up with
them?

usb surely won't be, and depending on your sata revission, your going to
top out at whatever it supports.

So taking all this in to consideration, the time honored answer is to
get more ram.

And then you have to decide whether that's machine is worth it or not,
depends on how old it is, and older ram can be cheap, or it can really
be expensive depending on how old and availability at any time.

By the way, now is not a good time to buy hard-drives, because of the
flooding in China, and western digital getting swamped, drive prices
have trippled.

They'll come back down eventually, but there's a shortage right now.

At 06:13 PM 11/17/2011, you wrote:
When I read the specs for USB 2, it supports transfers up to 400 megs
per second,
if I read correctly, and yet the transfer rates to and from the thumb
drives around
here are pitiful.
The thumb drives I have are by Hitachi, a good maker, I guess, so
should do okay,
and yet I get only about 11 to 15 megs second on my new computer,
which has USB 2
ports, not USB 3, and only 2 or 3 megs second on this other Windows 7
64 bit computer,
also with USB 2 ports.
I can't comprehend why there is so much difference in reading and
writing to the
same USB drives on the two computers.
I read an article saying you can soup up any thumb drive by
reforematting it to NTFS
instead of FAT32, plus right clicking on the drive and selecting
Optimize For Best
Performance.
Even so, I read posts in that forum claiming only 30 or 50 megs second
at best.
Some posts said it makes no difference, 30 or 50 megs second is a
false report, caused
by reformatting to NTFS, that transfer to and from the drive actually
continues
after the final report is displayed, and you'll lose your data if you
quit too soon.
Some forum posts said NTFS is no faster, even slower than FAT 32.
Okay, maybe that trick works and maybe not, but where can I buy a very
fast thumb
drive, as fast as the medium will go, and what do I look for in
designation, flash
medium class, whatever?
It doesn't need to be a huge drive, no larger than 4 gigs or so, and
I'm definitely
not looking for a SSD drive, just a thumb drive.
I read about SD flash drives, for video cameras and such, that are
fast enough to
record video live at high frame rates.
That's the speed I want in a USB thumb drive.
Any ideas, anyone?
Thanks for any tips,
Indigo L

For all your audio production needs and technology training, visit us at

www.affordablestudioservices.com
or contact
Chris Belle
cb1963@xxxxxxxxxxxxx