[realmusicians] Fastest Possible USB Thumb Drive

  • From: Indigo <33indigo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: realmusicians@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 19:13:22 -0500

When I read the specs for USB 2, it supports transfers up to 400 megs per second, if I read correctly, and yet the transfer rates to and from the thumb drives around

here are pitiful.
The thumb drives I have are by Hitachi, a good maker, I guess, so should do okay, and yet I get only about 11 to 15 megs second on my new computer, which has USB 2 ports, not USB 3, and only 2 or 3 megs second on this other Windows 7 64 bit computer,
also with USB 2 ports.
I can't comprehend why there is so much difference in reading and writing to the
same USB drives on the two computers.
I read an article saying you can soup up any thumb drive by reforematting it to NTFS instead of FAT32, plus right clicking on the drive and selecting Optimize For Best
Performance.
Even so, I read posts in that forum claiming only 30 or 50 megs second at best. Some posts said it makes no difference, 30 or 50 megs second is a false report, caused by reformatting to NTFS, that transfer to and from the drive actually continues after the final report is displayed, and you'll lose your data if you quit too soon.
 Some forum posts said NTFS is  no faster, even slower than FAT 32.
Okay, maybe that trick works and maybe not, but where can I buy a very fast thumb drive, as fast as the medium will go, and what do I look for in designation, flash
medium class, whatever?
It doesn't need to be a huge drive, no larger than 4 gigs or so, and I'm definitely
not looking for a SSD drive, just a thumb drive.
I read about SD flash drives, for video cameras and such, that are fast enough to
record video live at high frame rates.
That's the speed I want in a USB thumb drive.
Any ideas, anyone?
Thanks for any tips,
Indigo L