[realmusicians] Re: Dual boot pro

  • From: Indigo <33indigo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: realmusicians@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 09:58:39 -0500

Thanks, DX.
Yes, I know that order of installation works, XP first, then Windows 7 afterward, I just said that Microsoft warns that the other way round is not possible, with Win 7 already installed, then installing XP afterward. Like I said, I have Windows 7 installer on 2 different disks, so I can decide; at any time; to install it, if I run into some amazing new program that won't run on XP.
Thanks,
Indigo L

On 11/22/2011 11:42 PM, D!J!X! wrote:
As a system builder I can tell you it is possible to dualboot xp and win7, I
do it for my customers often!
Since you are at a clean point, meaning you can reinstall stuff, here's what
you do:
Pop in the xp disc, when you get to the partition area, wipe the drive
(delete all partitions), then create a partition for xp of the required
size, then leave the rest empty. Go ahead and install xp.
After you're done, start the windows7 installation (from outside of
windows). When the installer passes the license, select custom, not upgrade.
When it asks where to install, just select the unalocated/unpartitioned
space on the drive. Win7 will install and do its thing. When it restarts and
is done, win7 will be the first option, then legacy OS or whatever microsoft
calls it will be the second option. That would be the XP OS.
You can install something like EasyBCD to edit the name and call it xp or
whatever.

HTH, D!J!X!