[real-eyes] web accessability

  • From: "firoz" <firojjee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 16:53:57 +0530

Picked this off of another list, and felt it would be beneficial to
everyone.
HTH,
Richard q. Justice-list moderator
I'd like to introduce an exciting service that was made available last
week. This is a collaborative way to improve the accessibility of the
web. Basically, screen reader users can submit requests to make a site
more accessible, such as adding a heading, labeling a graphic and so on.
A community of volunteers or supporters can take a look at the requests
and the web site and make updates to a server so that these suggestions
will be available the next time you access the site. Furthermore, these
updates will be available to anyone accessing the same site.

Below, Hiro--one of the researchers--explains how to request and IBM ID,
install the JAWS scripts and use the service. The tutorial he points to
is especially good. If you have any questions, please send them to
Hiro-who's email address is below, or myself. I'll answer what I can and
forward the rest on to Hiro.

Date: 07/09/2008 01:10 PM
Subject: Social Accessibility Project

Hi Christopher,

Thank you for your great support in development phase!
We finally started an external service, just yesterday.
The number of active volunteers is increasing,
so now, we really welcome participation of screen reader users.
Could you forward this mail to potential participants?
I will attach a brief description and an instruction to join the

service.

What is the Social Accessibility Project?

The Social Accessibility Project is a service whose goal is to make Web

pages more accessible to people with disabilities. The service gathers

users' input and uses the power of the open community while not

changing any existing content.

This pilot service focuses on users of screen readers. Users

encountering Web access problems anywhere at any time can immediately

report problems to the Social Accessibility server. Volunteers (called

supporters) can be quickly notified and can easily respond by creating

and publishing the requested accessibility metadata, which will help

other users who encounter the same problems. Users themselves are also

allowed to improve accessibility of pages by sharing landmarks on a

page. Site owners can learn about methods for future accessibility

renovations based on the volunteers' external metadata.

The system consists of tools and a server that enables the

collaborative authoring. The entire process is empowered by various

collaboration services, such as comments, discussions, measurements,

and incentives.

Front page
http://services.alphaworks.ibm.com/socialaccessibility/

How to join it?

Step 1. Please get an IBM ID.
https://socialaccessibility.alphaworks.ibm.com/help/get_ibm_id
If you have any problem with IBM ID, please contact call center.
+1 888 426 4409 or +1 303 262 5669 in U.S.

Step 2. Please sign up to the service with IBM ID and password. In the

sign up process, please select "join as a user".
https://socialaccessibility.alphaworks.ibm.com/account/login

Step 3. Download and install a screen reader extension for Jaws.
http://socialaccessibility.alphaworks.ibm.com/help/download_user

Step 4. Please refer the tutorial section for submitting requests.
http://socialaccessibility.alphaworks.ibm.com/help/jfw_tutorial

Step 5. For further questions, please refer FAQ or help documents, or

contact me at
takagih@xxxxxxxxxxx

http://services.alphaworks.ibm.com/socialaccessibility/faq.html

Help