[real-eyes] mo medicaid for the blind: Nixon says no

  • From: "&&& (Ruthie)" <clark.ruthie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "First-Steps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <First-Steps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 15:13:12 -0600

Are we worrying over nothing?  Our society as a whole runs on
sensationalism and fear...is this issue an example?
The text below is from:

http://ozarksfirst.com/fulltext?nxd_id=605202

Gov. Nixon Denounces Proposed Social Services Cuts
By: Tim Sampson, Missouri News Horizon
Updated: February 17, 2012

(Jefferson City, MO) -- A Missouri House of Representatives plan to
maintain stable higher education funding by cutting more than $65
million from the state's
Department of Social Services did not go over well with the governor.

The plan, approved by a House appropriations committee on Thursday,
would include a $28 million cut from a Medicaid program benefiting the
blind and a $12
million funding decrease to child care subsidies for low-income families.

During a press conference in the state capitol on Friday, Nixon said
that these programs were too vital to the quality of life for
Missourians for them
to be placed on the chopping block.

"Cutting healthcare for the blind, prenatal care for women, services for
people with developmental disabilities and child care for low-income
families is
not the way to balance Missouri's budget," Nixon said.

But the proposal from House Republicans comes in response to Nixon's own
proposed cuts to higher education. During his State of the State Address
last month,
Nixon proposed cutting $106 million, roughly 12.5 percent, from
Missouri's two-year and four-year public colleges.

Nixon has since proposed reducing those cuts by $40 million with funds
awarded to the state in the recent nationwide mortgage lender
settlement. Combined
with the House appropriations committee's proposed social services cuts,
this would allow the state to maintain level funding for higher
education, which
saw its budget already cut last year by 5 percent.

The proposed social services cuts now head to the House budget
committee. Missouri is currently grappling with an estimated $500
million shortfall.

--

&&& (Ruthie)

I tried LSD but I didn't actually swallow.

"We are more than the sum of our parts."

We are the few,
Who speak for the many,
Who could not speak for themselves.
        We are the many,
Who speak for the one,
Who could not speak for herself.

Private mail is *always* welcomehere <mailto:multi.we.us@xxxxxxxxx>
Windows Live:  clark.ruthie@xxxxxxxxx   Follow us on Twitter:  @MultiWe
Facebook: Ruthie Clark <http://www.facebook.com/andruthieand>   Yahoo!
andruthieand    Check out the blog: at WordPress
<http://multiwe.wordpress.com/>!