[real-eyes] THE HOLY CROSS BLIND OUTREACH NEWSLETTER

  • From: "dauidr@xxxxxxxx" <dauidr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: first-steps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 09:21:32 GMT

THE HOLY CROSS BLIND OUTREACH NEWSLETTER

Holy Cross Lutheran Church
2003 NE Englewood Road
Kansas City, MO 64118
www.holycrosskc.org
(816) 805-7333

August’s Monthly Meal: August 28, 2010, 12:00-2:00 PM

GREETINGs
1 Cor. 10:13: “No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And
God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But
when you are tempted, he
will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.
A painting called “Checkmate” hung in a museum. It showed a chess board where
one player’s king was trapped in the corner by his opponent’s queen and other
pieces.
One day a well-known chess champion was touring the museum. Seeing the
painting, he gestured with a shout: “It’s a lie! The king has another move.”
We, too, feel hemmed in like there’s no escape. At such times, we lash out when
well-meaning help seems to slow or robotic? We grow agitated when aches and
pains and sadness and stress overwhelm us.
We feel powerless to misfortune. One moment, we vent. Then, we recoil even from
those who care for us. Self-pity sets in. Our self-esteem plummets. We feel
cornered with no way out.
At such times, we fear, suspect, and distrust the things folks do for us. We
get squeezed between self-preservation and pushing away the gifts our Lord
gives us to support our body and life.
The pious solution sounds so trite! “Just trust! Have faith! Cheer up. Be
positive.” We’ve heard and tried to heed all such platitudes and
fallen--crushed by their weight….cornered like that king who seemed to have no
escape.
But, thanks be to God, who has saved us who cannot help ourselves. God did not
spare His only Son, but handed Him over for us all. Jesus, the Son of God,
really bore our limitations. He, too, was hungry, despised, mistreated, tired.
He, too, faced temptations to give in, to surrender to Satan’s craving for
power. Thanks be to God. He overcame such temptations. And, because He overcame
them, He, our Lord, Savior, and champion gives us more than just a way out of a
corner.
He came to show us His and our heavenly Father is not removed and distant but
cares for each of us amidst our greatest needs. He comes aware of our
weaknesses and frustrations because, though sinless, He faced them all in our
place.
Jesus returns our sad, depressed lack of assurance to His cross. There, nearly
two thousand years ago, He took our disrespect, our anger, our impatience, upon
His nail-pierced, thorn-punctured body to death.
What a throne for a King, our King!—hanging crucified while Roman soldiers cast
bids for His clothing and Jewish leaders hurled their snears at Him! He was
cornered—like one who had no way out!
But, Jesus triumphed over all our sin, over all the world’s jeering, over all
our complaints and anxiety. That’s why He turns us to His reward—free for the
trusting.
Jesus has provided His cross—the way out of our sin, doubt and spiritual
weariness.
For we know that Satan, the world, and our sinful flesh would guide us into
believing there is no hope or way out. That unholy triple alliance would have
us think we are checkmated. But, Jesus restores our trust through the
consolation of friends, relatives, and pastors. He speaks through the words of
Scripture which we read in daily devotion. He still provides those helping
hands and all we need to care for our body and life.
The King, our Lord does have another move. Soon, He will come to take us to
heaven for life eternal.

WHAT’S FOR DINNER?
This month, we are having sandwiches, chips, fruit salad, and ice cream
sandwiches. As always, let us know if you have any dietary needs. We look
forward to seeing you at the blind outreach meal of the month. You don’t have
to join anything to join us for an afternoon of food, fun, and fellowship!

IT’S A GREAT DAY FOR SINGING
        What’s your favorite hymn or spiritual song? This month, we will have a
casual hymn sing. No worries if you don’t know all the words! Print and Braille
copies of several songs will be provided.
        Remember, you don’t have to join anything to join us for dinner,
devotion, fun, and fellowship on August 28 from 12:00-2:00 PM.

REMINDERS
1.      CD’s of previous weeks’ services at Holy Cross will be available at the
meal.
2.      2. We offer the newsletter in large print, Braille, and email formats.
3.      3. We offer free rides to and from each meal of the month. If you so
desire a ride, please, let us know by Wednesday, August 25 so we have time to
arrange everyone’s transportation.
4.      4. If you are taking Share A Fare to and from the meal, remember to
schedule it at least a day in advance for the address at the top of this
newsletter. It is helpful if you let me know you are coming by Share A Fare
also or are coming with a spouse/family member, etc. so that we know how much
food to prepare.
5.      5. Do you wish to receive a devotional magazine in Braille, large
print, or on cassette? Call the Lutheran Library for the Blind at (888)
215-2455. They have a wide selection for people of all ages.

TIME FOR TALENT
In September, we will host a talent show to conclude our time together. So,
bring your humor and make us laugh with some jokes. Bring your voice and sing.
If you can play piano, let us hear your song. It’ll be one way we can get to
know each other better.

COMMUNITY CALENDAR
September 3, 2010: Allied Workers of the Blind; call Terrie Arnold to find out
more about meeting times and location at (816) 363-6658.
September 6, 2010: Labor Day
September 11, 2010: First Steps for the Blind; call Cathy Pyper at (816)
455-5219 for more information and meeting times.
September 15, 2010: First Steps for the Blind; an evening alternative.
September 16, 2010: Blinded Veterans of America; call Ed Reyes at (816)
454-3312 for more information and resources.
September 18, 2010: Progressive Council of the Blind; Call Scott Vrogendewy for
more information at (816) 213-8222.
September 18, 2010: National Federation of the Blind; Call Ruby Polk to learn
more about the NFB at (816) 505-9993.
September 25, 2010: Holy Cross Blind Outreach meal of the month; Call David
Rosenkoetter at (816) 805-7333 or Ruby Polk at (816) 505-9993 for more
information and to reserve a ride to and from the meal.

Worship at Holy Cross Lutheran Church:
Sunday morning: Worship  at 8:00 and 10:45 AM
Bible Class at 9:30 AM
Wednesday evening: Worship at 7:00 PM
Please call the church office at (816) 452-9113 to find out more about Holy
Cross Lutheran Church.

David Rosenkoetter, Director (816) 805-7333
Assistants:
Ruby Polk (816) 505-9993
Shirley Grauel: (816) 587-5406

Now, may the Lord direct your days and your deeds in His peace.