[real-eyes] Re: Speak Freely

  • From: "Reginald George" <sgeorge@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 15:35:04 -0600

I tried to Google this for you and found the following post on Slashdot from
2003.  Part of the reason this protocol died is you have to forward specific
ports through your router and it doesn't sound like it handled dynamic IP
addressing very well.

from the calling-it-quits dept.
  Arun writes
"John Walker (of AutoDesk and Fourmilab fame), primary author of
SpeakFreely, has decided to E.O.L. the program (a pioneering network
telephony effort), come January 15th, 2004. He cites difficulty in
maintaining a decade-old code base, lack of appropriate developer support
and a fundamental change in the peer-to-peer nature of the Internet upon
which SF is dependent as motivating factors behind his decision. While the
last release of the program will continue to be available from SourceForge,
the main web site, mailing list, and web forum will be shut down on the
aforementioned date."
 He's got some good points too, like how once IPv6 is more common, most
users probably won't go back to one address per machine. I know I enjoy the
added security of a NATed firewall, and without a really good reason, I
won't be quick to give it up.