[real-eyes] Re: Digital recorders?

  • From: "Jim Fettgather" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 22:18:27 -0600

In my view, the Olympus DS-50 is, hands down, by far, without a doubt, no
exception, the greatest, finest, most innovative recorder on the market.
Up to 120 hours of recording time using any one of three high quality
Windows Media audio WMA formats.
Accessible talking menus.
No proprietary software needed to connect and transfer files to the PC.
Three recording modes, conference, dictation, and lecture, that can be
changed with a switch on the machine and not through the menus.
Can be used as a USB speaker or microphone for the computer.
Also plays MP3 and audible files.
Can be used as a storage drive for any type of data file.

Having said all that, there is ho way of easily editing an existing file,
you would have to maybe convert the WMA file to MP3 and import into a sound
editor with which you are comfortable.
The DS-50 does come with software, I have never had the need to install it,
as I use other programs for editing sound files.

And, I don't know about the reference to Jaws, unless you were to use the
machine as an external sound card, and use it that way, which, by the way,
is quite doable.